Sunday, December 4, 2011

Big Steel Keg. My new toy

I just picked up this baby. It's awesome and I am going to have a lot of fun. There is going to be a learning curve for me since I have really never used charcoal before...especially lump coal. I have had two cooks so far and they were both successes. I decided after my first cook that I will take notes so I can track what I am doing and learn.
Today I wanted to grill for lunch. Here's the story.


Grilling ribs and chicken legs.

Rubbed ribs with muenster rub, salt and pepper. Got keg to 200 and put on soaked wood chips. Dampers are at 4 on top and 3 on bottom to get heat closer to 275. Put ribs on at 10:00.
Shit. 10:13 temp rose to 350. Turned dampers to around 1.
Not sure if my fire is out. Put chicken legs on at 10:30. Moved dampers to 2 on top and 1.5 on bottom. Put bottom at 2. Trying to get temp at 275. Time crunch for lunch. Dampers at 2.0 and dialed in at 275. Now11:23

Pulled chicken and wrapped ribs at 12:00. Over cooked chicken. Temp was close to 190 internal for chicken.

Pulled ribs at 12:45. 2:45 cooking time. Final temp was 315 when wrapped and pulled. Waiting for to rest.

Chicken was actually pretty good but a little chewy by being overdone. Kids loved them and that's who ate them so that's good.
Ribs were very moist and fall-off-the-bone good. Used Sweet Baby Ray's sauce and that complimented the rub nicely.
After the cook, open the vents all the way to get to 700 degrees to burn off and clean the grill. Worked nicely. Very happy with my first attempt at ribs.


No comments: